5.31.2007

A new song for post # 300...Yoohoo!

First of all, I'm proud to announce that this blog, with this entry, has reached a milestone of 300 Posts!!!
Proof positive that over the past few years I have had entirely too much time on my hands!


RED (center, w/Charlie at left and Watt on the right)

Anyhoo, I have a close friend named Red, whom I have blogged about in the past, quite some time ago. On his MySpace page, in his "Favorites" section, he lists me as his favorite songwriter. This is very flattering, and I'm sure he's sincere, but I'm afraid I haven't given him anything new in a long time to justify his high opinion. It's true that I haven't written nary a song in the last few years (if you're interested in some of the lyrics, they can be found, along with other poetry, at Bipolar Confessional).
So I've made a conscious decision, now that I have mucho time on my hands, to get back to the craft of songwriting, regardless of how primitive the results may turn out to be.
I've spared no time in executing this notion, and I would like to share this song, the first I've done in a long, long time, with my readers. It is currently untitled, but I think I'll eventually call it "Behind". I hope you like it.

I never hoped to be a sage or a seer
I'm just another singer reaching for a song
But I'm tired of asking the eternal questions
Not knowing if the answers that I think I've found are wrong

Been looking out for something to believe in
But faith is hard to come by in these times
And I can't help but judge myself severely
Who can take the punishment and fit it to the crime?

I think I'm walking backwards
I don't trust in my own mind
I keep hoping it's the right thing
To leave these things behind

I've tried so hard to understand the meaning
Of some things I was never meant to know
Standing on the inside looking outside
Knowing I should leave but never knowing where to go

And what I know could fit inside a thimble
A drop of wine at the bottom of a glass
Frightened of the last breath I'll be breathing
There is no comfort now in knowing all things, too, must pass

I think I'm walking backwards
I don't trust in my own mind
I keep hoping it's the right thing
To leave these things behind

So if I seem a prisoner of my own thoughts
If I sometimes mock reality
If my mind tends to slip into oblivion
Looking for the things I know are there but just can't see

I'll satisfy my mind with poet's nonsense
I'll be content with someone else's song
The melodies that keep me from believing
That all the things that I believed were vapors all along

And I don't want to walk away from you
You know I've lost my mind
I'm wondering if it's too late
Now that I've left it all behind

Now that I've left it all behind
Now that I've left it all behind
Now that I've left it all behind
Now that I've left it all behind

No comments: