4.22.2007

Jubal Blog: A Festival in Lexington

For the last two weeks I haven't written the blog posts at our MySpace page (even though the last gig at the 89'er club in Lexington was a blast), mainly because I was convinced that very few were actually reading it. I still am. But boredom inspired me to do something this morning, as I had awakened far too early and could not get back to sleep. And so I decided to write a blog post. I don't know if this will be the last one from me...my brother has taken over that duty (somewhat reluctantly, I believe). But who knows..I may find myself awake at a ridiculously early time and dash one off now and again.
Anyhoo, here's the latest installment:


It's now officially confirmed...They love us in Lexington. And that's very encouraging, because we have come to love the people there as well.

Saturday we were the headlining band at the 89'er Festival, where the streets are lined with vendors selling their wares (mostly in the form of vittles), the carnival stays packed all day and bands of various stripes take the stage on the other side of Main Street. We played pretty well for the most part for audiences that came and went most of the day and then got pretty big near the end of the night. The only real problem we had was that we were told, after some of us had already put our instruments up and we'd said "Goodnight", that we were expected to play until 10PM. All of us were under the impression, even up to then, that the show was to last from 5:30 to 9:00. But the policeman who hired us said that the Chamber of Commerce or whoever was sponsoring the whole shindig had advertised that we would play until 10:00, so we really didn't have much of a say in the matter. We pulled out our instruments after taking a short break and gave them another 45 minutes. I don't know about anyone else, but I, as the bass player, silently lamented the level of pain in my fingers from playing a 4 & 1/2 hour gig with only two short intermissions. The wind was brutal and it got a little nippy towards the end of the night, but all in all the weather was cooperative.

While there, Jerry, the owner of the 89'er Club, offered us another gig in a couple of weeks. It's always a hoot to play there so we jumped at the opportunity. That show will be on May 5 and the address is 108 W Broadway down there in the swirling metropolis of Lexington. After that we're taking the weekend off before we hit the Watering Hole in Shawnee. That's a pretty fun gig, too.

Something you might want to know...we are NO LONGER hosting the Sunday night Tri-City jam sessions at Dietrichs. To the best of my knowledge no one is picking up where we left off, so there will most likely be no jam sessions anymore in the foreseeable future. Of course there are reasons for this and they are many, but discretion prevents me from sharing them in this forum. Suffice to say that I don't THINK there are any hard feelings in the wake of our departure. It was fairly amicable as far as I know, but by the same token I don't claim to know much about the whole she-bang. I'm just happy that now I can spend Sundays with my family. It was getting hard for me to come home at 3:30 in the morning, wake up wore out and ragged and then have to do the jam later in the day. Ugh! But I must reiterate, that's just ME. The other guys likely had no problems with that. I'm just kinda sickly these days and can't get around like I used to.

And finally, we were somewhat troubled when Jubal didn't make it to the show yesterday. That was a real heart breaker, not only to us but to his dedicated legion of fans, many of who had driven quite some distance to see him. I pulled out my cellphone and called him...this is what he had to say, "Man, I'm sorry but I don't like Festivals. I can't handle 'em, it's something that's haunted me since childhood. I don't know, maybe my mom left me at a carnival for several hours while she went out to do her own thing. Maybe the carneys spooked me. All I remember is getting on the Ferris wheel all alone and crying my eyes out, screaming 'Mother! Mother! Where are you?'...So you can have yer Festivals, each and every one. I won't be there."

No comments: