3.03.2007

Jubal Modine & the Love Handles

Most of my blogging the last few weeks has been done on my MySpace blog. Don't ask me why, it just has. Mainly because I know who reads it and therefore can communicate with those people through it. Also because I've wanted to avoid the more "personal" stuff here, and that's what I've felt like blogging lately.
I know that after I left Mad Laugh I said I was retiring, that I did not even want to play in another band. And I truly did feel that way.
But it's been a couple of years and I miss being on the stage, so a friend of mine and I put together a band with my brother (a very talented drummer) and a mutual friend who also happens to be very talented, though his talent is for the guitar.
My brother's band, Barrelhouse, had a meltdown about a week into our existence (this was to be a side project for him) and we had originally hoped that Eddie, Barrelhouse's singer, would join up with us. That seemed like the logical outcome.
But as of yet he has kept his distance and hey, that's fine by me. We have come together so fast and play so well together that I'm more than happy to be a 4-piece.
It all came together, as I think I have already said, very fast...it was less than a week from our first rehearsal and we were playing our first gig (a Wednesday-Thursday slot at Dietrich's Club). Less than 3 weeks later we were sponsoring a jam session at the same establishment. Tonight we're playing at a dive bar known as The Watering Hole (sheesh...no doubt there are 1000's of bars using that name across the country). The rumour has it that this place has morphed into a lesbian bar over the span of it's existence. Wow. It'll be the first lesbian bar I've ever had the privilege of playing.
As for the band's name...it's Jubal Modine and the Love Handles. Jubal is a Biblical character out of Genesis 4 (he's the father of all who play the lute and harp, or something like that). Modine was the CB handle of a local figure from the place where I grew up. As for the Love Handles...it was an entry in a contest we held at Dietrich's to "Name The Band". Apparently a lot of the girls liked it, at least that's what I'm told. So we combined "Jubal Modine" (which was all mine) with "the Love Handles" and it all comes together and seems to make some crazy kind of sense.
I'm not sure if we're doing a 3rd Jam Session. We had planned not to, taking this Saturday night gig, but I got the impression that some people are wanting us to do it and that we just might have to.
I kinda hope not, cuz I'm gonna be worn out after it's all done tonight and tomorrow needs to be for rest and recuperation.

No comments: