5.28.2006

Beer, Barbecue and Bible study

In a world saturated with phoniness that often rears it's double-minded head within the ranks of those who profess to be Christians, it's refreshing to find a blog like Pauly's Beer, Barbecue and Bible Study. The author's introduction says it all:
Christianity is just about being real. We all have feelings, thoughts, wants, needs, lusts, desires, joys, sadness, likes, dislikes, opinions and ideas. God is familiar with all of them. I have always wanted to start a men's group in my home with the name "Beer, Barbecue and Bible Study". I'm not sure the church community is ready for it just yet.
Well, Pauly, the "church community" may not be ready for such integrity (and shame on 'em if they aren't) but personally I want to congratulate you for your candid introspection and your exceptional blogging (you make some nice crosses, too, I might add).
Check out Pauly's "About Me" entry:
I'm as screwed up and dysfunctional as the next guy. Thank God for grace. I like to write, I like to play, I am serious when I have to be. I prefer intelligent conversation and humor, and I think small talk is the pits. I think Jesus spent more time smiling and laughing than what we think. I'm 48 years old and facing my own mortality...I lost my Dad to cancer in 2004. I took it pretty hard, because we were close. I wound up in a deep introspective mode for quite a while...several months, as a matter of fact. I came to some conclusions: 1. There is a God, 2. I'm not Him, 3. I have a purpose. Those are the 3 biggies, but there's been a lot of life changing decisions I have made, most for the better. God's still working on me. I guess that's what these writings are all about.
Sounds like Pauly and I would have a lot to talk about...
Check out Beer, Barbecue and Bible Study.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jac

love your insight thanks for the blog. I agree Jesus spent more time laughing and smiling than what we think. Thats because he didnt try to be good he just walked in his the gift that was given him.. righteousness! Rightstanding means I can be me and be good at it...without putting on a show to prove that im a christian and be accepted by Christ because im his child.
God created you to be you and be good at it. Thats what I call, 'freedom in Christ.'

Paul
www.apostolic.typepad.com

20mileview.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the link, friend. I quit "trying" to be a Christian 14 years ago and decided to leave the "church" scene. I was tired of going to church 5 days a week (like a 2nd job), and speaking "Christianese" to everyone. Damn....never won a soul to Christ with a fake smile... And I guess I got tired of all the folks who, when you ask how they're doing (and you know their finances are in the negative, their spouse is about to leave them, and their daughter is giving it up to all the men in the church) they reply, "I'm blessed, brother," complete with a cheesy grin.
I decided to be real, and when someone asked me how I was doing, I'd reply, "Do you really care? I don't think you really want to know." I found out transparency isn't really what the "churchy" community wants.
Enough of the rant...thanks again and visit regularly. I'll hoist a pint for you later this afternoon...