4.20.2006

Curtis Haynes, Rest In Peace, my Brother


Curtis Haynes 1957-2006

I first met Curtis Haynes back in 1981 when I was attending Seminole Junior College. If memory serves, he was working at the local Pizza Hut. Somehow I struck up a conversation with him and was delighted to learn that he was a huge fan of what we used to refer to as "underground music" (punk, late 70's new wave, early 80's alternative). He had a passion for this music that I could really relate to and our conversations were always centered around this common interest.
Curtis was a Christian. We shared this in common as well, and he was one of a very few acquaintances of mine who was just as enthusiastic about the latest Resurrection Band album as he was for a fresh release by Husker Du.
I visited Curtis in his home several times and considered him a friend. We drifted apart but it seemed like every few years we'd run into each other. Curtis had a contagious smile and his eyes would light up when the conversation would return to music. I can still hear his laugh.
Just such a great guy.
I was shocked and stunned to see his name in the obituaries of my hometown newspaper. At first I thought it couldn't be THE Curtis Haynes that I remembered. I read the obit, looking for touchstones, and my heart sank when I recognized the names of his wife and brother listed as "survivors". Even then I couldn't fathom that it could be my old friend, after all, he was only 48 (and to be honest, I'd always thought he was even younger than that...he certainly had a youthful exuberrance about him).
My fears were confirmed, however, when I visited the funeral home website and saw his picture there, the Joey Ramone t-shirt being all it took to drive it home that yes, this was THE Curtis Haynes.
I wish we had been closer, but I feel very blessed to have known this brother in Christ. And I am saddened that our serendipitous meetings sprinkled across the years have come to an end in this life.
And finally, I look forward to our next "serendipitous meeting"...
Goodbye, old friend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey JAC, very nicely done tribute to your friend. Like Joe Strummer once said, "I don't believe there's a heaven for me, but I know there's one for Joey Ramone." Curtis is certainly up there with Joey right now. Gabba gabba hey!

(give you three guesses who this is!)

JC said...

Three guesses...okay, but I'm really not too sure:
My best guess is that it's my bro Charles, who is very probably the only regular reader of this blog.
Or it might be a RS.com Castaway denizon, I'm thinking either Ken Holzman or Rocky Sigman.
That's three guesses, but if I had a couple more I'd shoot for Maarts or Thorny.
I hope you will return and relieve me of my distress at not knowing who you are.
Glad you liked the tribute. Really wish I could have been able to hang with Curtis more in the last few years.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey JAC, I hadn't realized that my posting style and Rocky's were so similar. I figured that my constant use of that Strummer quote would give me right away, and it sure didn't take you long.

Really nicely done tribute.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi JAC,

This is Stratman19 from the old RS boards, and Castaways. I have to come clean, and tell you that I bookmarked the URL to your blog long ago when you had it listed on your Castaways posts.

I won't pretend that I'm a regular visitor because I'm not. I do stop by semi regularly just to see what's been on your mind and such.

Anyway, today on your main page, as I scrolled down it, I came upon the obit you had written for your friend. For some reason unbeknownest to me, I felt compelled to drop you a comment.

I'd like to offer you my condolences. Curtis sounds as though he was one hell of a human being. Just looking at that big round face, with that smile and Ramones t-shirt, it appears as though he had a great zest for life.

I hope this life wasn't too terribly hard for him. If there is a next life, I hope it's all he dreamed it would be. You honored his memory well with a moving tribute.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer you my condolences regarding your friend Curtis. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

I hope this post finds you and your family well. All my best to you and yours, JAC.