3.25.2006

Buck Owens, R.I.P.

Alvis Edgar "Buck" Owens, Jr. 1929-2006


One of the most treasured memories I have is of my father and I watching the Buck Owens show every Sunday afternoon when I was a young child. Dad was a huge fan of Owens, and he was one of my favorites in the days before I discovered rock 'n' roll. Even then I counted myself a fan...after all, the Beatles were, right? Though I had come to a point where I believed the Fab Four could do no wrong, I still acknowledged that Owens' version of "Act Naturally" was superior to theirs.
And I even remember being asked to sing "Tiger By the Tail" at family gatherings when I couldn't have been much older than 5. As such, that may be the earliest memory I can recall...
Without a doubt Buck Owens' music, his charisma, his performing ability and his unmistakeable voice were a big part of what initially turned me on to music.
And so it is with a heavy heart that I now listen to my copy of his Greatest Hits, having just learned of his passing away at the ripe age of 76 earlier today.
I couldn't even begin to count all the smiles that he's responsible for with his charming sense of humour (sample lyric: "I got the hungries for your love and I'm waiting in your welfare line", not to mention all the corny jokes he told on Hee Haw). And he has touched my heart deeply with his more serious music ("Together Again" will remain a country and western classic for all time).
He was one-of-a-kind and will be missed dearly.

No comments: