1.17.2006

Somewhat Lost Weekend Update

I wish I could tell you that my performance last Friday evening at VZDs was an unparalleled success...
Unfortunately, the high standard of honesty I've upheld since day one of this blog prevents me from presenting it in such a positive light.
Not that it was a disaster...I don't think anyone would describe it as such. But what do I know?
From my perspective on the stage, it looked like the vast majority of the audience was paying attention and basically appreciating what I was doing (if such can be judged by facial expressions and applause at the end of each song).
Several people who I had never previously met offered what seemed to be sincere compliments, as did those who knew me.
It was suggested by a friend that I may have played for a bit too long, and this is definately a possibility. I had no perception of time while playing, and was waiting for someone in the band to cue me offstage. But no cueing was forthcoming, and so I played right at an hour when 45 minutes would have been more than enough. VZDs is known more as a "band" venue, not a solo guitarist/vocalist, so perhaps it should not have surprised me when I learned later that the bar and wait staff did not care for my set.
I don't know why I let that bother me, but it did...I mean, it's naive and unrealistic to expect EVERYONE to like my music...different tastes, and all that, I shouldn't WANT everyone to "get it".
Maybe I was hoping that the staff there would like it and it shocked me to find out they really didn't.
But there were several there who did, I assure you of that.
I knew going into it that I ventured rejection in daring to do a one-man set at a club that is known to feature some of the better local acts. For what it's worth, I believe it went over, length issues and all, with the vast majority in the audience.
I won't even try to describe the debacle that Mad Laugh's set turned into, for fear of offending friends. Suffice to say it was not one of their best.
I ended up changing my plans...I got lonely for the company of the wife and son is what it all boiled down to...and I did not stay for the Fellowship Students/Little League Hero show...I'm sure it was a stellar double bill, and I regret missing it, but my head just wasn't into it. Next time.

I still think that my songs would fare well with band arrangements...Probably would have made all the difference in the world at VZDs...I'm sure there are other places that are more suitable for the lone performer...would still love to put a band together around them, but in the meantime I am going to do a little gigging with a friend's band. The drummer's real name is Famous Marshall...and I can only hope that they're calling themselves "The Famous Marshall Band", even if Famous does nothing more than play the drums!
Money!
It's about time...
And a lot more RESPECT, too, I'm sure.
Stay tuned for details...

No comments: