7.22.2005

Random What'sits



Haven't blogged in awhile...nice to know I'm not addicted to it.
But then again, I'm sure it has much more to do with the hours I've been working which have kept me away from the computer...
So let's see...what have I been doing the last couple of weeks BESIDES work?
I spent a couple of nights with some friends last week while attending some training classes for work. Had the opportunity to discuss lofty matters with Eric, my ex-bandmate from the Mad Laugh. Also entered into deep conversation with one of the original Festives who answers to the nicknames "Baldi" and "Warty" (the Festives was another band I was involved with back in '94). All in all it was a pleasant experience. I got my cerificates in Physical Assistance I & II and Mealtime Challenges and was happy to be home when I got back.
For a few days last week I got caught up in a discussion on the Castaways message boards about the nature of God and Christianity. The participants in the debate, besides myself, were another Christian (a Methodist) and a homosexual Kabbalist who was considering the Faith (I only mention his sexual orientation because it played an important role in the theme of the discussion). Very enlightening, it was.
I finally developed an appreciation for a couple of albums that have never appealed to me...R.E.M.'s Reveal, which I'd long claimed was their absolute worst effort, finally clicked for me and I found myself listening to it repeatedly. Likewise, Radiohead's Hail to the Thief grabbed my attention after months and months of my indifference toward it (possibly due to a certain extent of "Radiohead burn-out").
Went to the mall the other day and bought some nice clothes to wear at church.
I've also been trying to find a good template for another blog I've been working on, with no success.
Blah blah blah, right?
Well, there ya go. That's why I haven't blogged here in awhile!
I'm currently reading The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and my daily Bible reading plan finds me in the books of Judges, Jeremiah and Acts. I do my daily devotional reading in the NIV translation but I'm also reading Matthew's gospel in the King James Version.
Since the guys that I work for are heavy-duty professional wrestling fans I must confess that I have been exposed to lots of WWE shenanigans since going on the 4pm-12am shift. I thought the Undertaker's being attacked by 5 masked men under orders from an "Arab of American descent" was in poor taste, especially in light of the fact that it took place on the same day as the terrorist attacks in London. Eddie Guerrero has descended to the deepest levels of scumminess possible with his enigmatic personal vendetta against Ray Mysterio. Kurt Angle revels in being despised and JBL is a joke, calling himself a "Great American" and going so far as comparing himself to Martin Luther King.
God help me, I can't believe I'm aware of all this junk. Oh, the joys of working with the developmentally disabled.
I went to the video store last week and lo and behold, not a single title there appealed to me. At this point the only thing I really want to see is Constantine. (Update...I finally watched "Constantine" earlier this month. IT SUCKED. --- March 2008)
Oh, and this is a strange development...the last few days I have religiously watched Pat Croce: Moving In with my wife. This experience has been both positive and negative, since I typically don't know when to keep my big mouth shut and I sometimes think that I could handle a situation better than Mr. Croce...my wife disagrees.
And finally, I don't quite know what to think about Criss Angel, having watched the first couple of installments of his Mind Freak series. He definately takes the David Blaine style of illusion and kicks it up a few notches, but I'm not so sure there's no camera trickery involved. I mean, it is impossible to defy the laws of gravity such as he does...

No comments: