3.29.2005

Playlist 03.29/30.05

Once again I'm up WAY too late, messing around with this blog. It's 2 in the morning and I really should be in bed. But hey, what's a few hours of missed sleep when there are names to be added to the "Music I Like" sidebar list, right?
Okay, so I got a little carried away. But you have to believe me, that is the SHORT list, of only the most significant bands/artists/composers that I enjoy.
Anyhoo, this is what I've been listening to all the while...


Philip Glass Akhnaten

Haven't played any Glass in some while. It was a toss-up between a Glass piece or Steve Reich's Music For Eighteen Musicians and Reich only lost out because I was afraid I might get hypnotized by 18. So I chose the third installment of the "Opera Trilogy", Akhnaten, which is the one I'm least familiar with.



Galaxy 500 Blue Thunder EP

Been a long, long time since I gave this one a spin. I bought it in the late 80's because I was curious to hear the cover of Joy Division/New Order's "Ceremony". I liked the arrangement well enough, and the other songs are very good, too, but I never really got into Galaxy 500. Probably would be worth checking into, better late than never and all.


Faces Long Player

I was SO excited when I found out this was finally being released on CD. It was an oddity of my record collection as a youth. Some of Rod Stewart's best work ("Bad n Ruin" choogles with the best of 'em), even if I'm not fond of his take on "Maybe I'm Amazed" (then again, I just don't like that song, period). The highlight of the album, to my ears, is the lazy "On The Beach", with the late great Ronnie Lane sounding like the skinny kid who always gets sand kicked in his face by the bullies. Tasty pre-Stones Ron Wood guitar sloppiness abounds and the whole thing hangs together by a very tentative thread, but hang together it does.

No comments: